BLG is a National pan-industry consortium covering the farm animal breeding sector, formed to assist in the development and maintenance of profitable long-term business generated by exports of British livestock and genetics.
On the website the News items are updated frequently and are a good source of topical news from the livestock breeding sector.
The International Event Diary is a key to the principal livestock events around the world and also informs of forthcoming events where there is some British involvement. You will also find brochures available to download in other languages within the International section. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please feel free to contact us directly via email.
BLG aims to do this by creating a positive, favourable image in international markets and promoting Britain as a supplier of high quality breeding animals, semen and embryos. The livestock sectors covered by BLG members include: Alpacas, Beef and Dairy Cattle, Goats, Pigs, Sheep, Livestock consultancy, Export arrangements and shipments.
Trade enquiries can be directed to the Members (see The Members pages) or to BLG via firstname.lastname@example.org where they will be passed on to relevant suppliers. BLG doesn’t trade directly itself - that is done by the Members - and it is a not-for-profit organisation. BLG can, however, assist with Inward Missions, participation in International Events (Trade Stands and Inspection Visits) or Export Certification in co-operation with the relevant bodies such as Agriculture & Horticulture Development Board (AHDB), UK Trade & Industry (UKTI), British Embassies abroad, Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA) & UK Export Certification Partnership (UKECP).
BLG’s operational strategies are:-
- To build on existing specialities and identify new opportunities
- To capitalise on Britain’s established leading role as a supplier of quality livestock genetics
- To work with individual companies in identifying new customers and supporting existing customers
- To collect and disseminate market information and sales leads
- To use our expertise, knowledge and contacts in key countries to communicate the benefits of British livestock and genetics through public relations, shows and other marketing activities
- To work with DEFRA, AHDB, UK Export Certification Partnership, UK Trade & Industry and other authorities at home and abroad to promote British genetics and to gain access to markets where the UK has no access due to lack of health certification or the removal of political barriers
- To strengthen links with overseas organisations (companies, breed societies, Governments)
- To work with Government departments and others in identifying priority markets, to help establish workable export protocols and to gain market access
BLG’s activities are directed in the following areas:-
- Participation in seminars and selected trade shows in key areas;
- Production and distribution of promotional aids;
- Active web-site;
- Assistance towards inward missions;
- Participation in outward missions;
- Provide information service and market research;
- Encourage new entrants into British genetics exporting;
- Seek financial support from the industry, Government and the EU.